Transfer Lingo you Need to Know

Wondering what a lateral transfer is? Or a reverse transfer? What’s “rolling admission” mean? Read on to learn the definitions of these, and more, words related to transferring between colleges!

Accreditation: A review that proves that the college meets the quality requirements of an agency, such as the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Several agencies are approved by the U.S. Secretary of Education based on their assessment of quality. Many institutions will only accept credit from colleges with certain accreditations.

Articulation agreement: An agreement between two institutions that ensures students can transfer credits from their current college to another. Also known as a transfer agreement.

Core-to-core: An agreement, sometimes offered within “dual admissions”, that allows a student’s general education classes from one college to satisfy general education requirements at the next college.

Dual admissions: An agreement between certain community colleges and four-year colleges that guarantees students admission into the four-year school. Students must indicate their desire to utilize this agreement.

Gen eds or GE’s: General education classes that are required in order to graduate. (Often include art, science, history, etc.)

Horizontal/Lateral transfer: Occurs when a student transfers out of a four-year college into another four-year college.

Non-traditional transfer student: A transfer student who is older than the general population of undergraduate college students. Often, they have taken a break in their education.

Reverse transfer: Occurs when a student transfers out of a four-year college into a community college.

Rolling admission: Instead of waiting until the application deadline to begin accepting students, colleges that perform rolling admission will grant admission decisions as soon as a student’s application is reviewed.

Transfer pipeline: The route transfer students must take in order to transfer. Some call it the “leaky pipeline” or say it is “broken,” because it needs to be improved.

Transfer student: Any student with previous college credit that wants to finish their degree at a different institution. Depending on how many credits the student has, they still might be required to apply as a freshman.

Vertical transfer: Occurs when a student transfers out of a two-year college into a four-year college.

I hope these definitions made the transfer process clearer for you!

Read this article to learn what you should do before and after you transfer, and make sure you follow this timeline during your transfer process.

– Sarah C.